Have you ever been to the gym and done an amazing session only to leave with NO energy remaining for the rest of the day? I know I have! Sometimes the gym takes it out of you, which can be frustrating if you’re a morning gymmer and have to talk to people after going to the gym. This is something that I’m really bad at if I’m tired, so often I’ll have one of these energy bars to hand for a quick snack after the gym.
The caffeine from the coffee and dark chocolate acts as a little pick-me-up (or a lifeline if you’re really dead like I often am). Dark chocolate is also full of flavonoids, which reduce inflammation and help fight against cardiovascular disease. The protein helps your body to repair little tears to your muscles and tendons that occur whilst you work out.
I got the idea for adding coffee to food whilst reading Men’s Health (yes, MEN’S health) so I guess I owe the success of this bar to them!
It’s super crumbly, which is a bit annoying to eat, but worth it when you taste it 🙂
Ingredients (makes 6 large bars):
- 50g Pumpkin seeds
- 100g Almonds (I use skins on, but this is up to you)
- 50g Peanuts
- 50g oats (make sure you are using gluten free oats if you are coeliac)
- 50g dried fruit of choice (chopped apricots work well)
- 20g honey/agave syrup
- 1tbsp oil (I use coconut)
- 1 shot of Espresso (or strong instant coffee if you don’t have an espresso machine)
- 75g 80%+ dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 2 scoops protein of choice
- 1 pinch of salt
- Toast the first 5 ingredients in a pan until the pumpkin seeds start to pop and then brown
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until the coffee water has evaporated and the mixture is a little sticky
- Line a tray or some Tupperware with clingfilm before packing in the mixture
- Let the bars cool and solidify in the fridge for a few hours or overnight for next morning munching.